"What we do in this life, echoes in eternity."
Maximus, Gladiator
"Our creator would never have made such lovely days, and given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Friday, January 16, 2015

Villains, the Himalayas and letting go

Today I had the privilege of attending a lecture about the writer's journey by the amazing Uma Krishnaswami. I will keep her words in plain sight to remind myself that this writing business (not the industry but the craft of writing and telling stories) is a journey with many challenges and also rewards. 
We also has a costume party with a Villains theme. I didn't bring a costume but I wore a mask I made a couple of nights ago during the 1st and 2nd semester gathering. 
Today I learned to let go of some things. My children miss me. They miss me more than I miss them to be honest. I'm having fun. I'm constantly busy. I'm meeting new friends. But they have a long weekend and they're home wishing we were doing something fun. Luckily my sister-in-law took them all in for a sleep over. If I were closer to home, tonight I would have (reluctantly) packed my bags and gone back to them. But I can't do that. So I'm working as hard as I can, taking advantage of as many lectures and classes as possible to make this time away from them worth it. If I take this time now, I'll hopefully go home a better mother and wife. I know I'll be a better writer. 
Group picture! We have three girls missing and the men from our group. 

A chilly -29 tonight in Vermont.