"What we do in this life, echoes in eternity."
Maximus, Gladiator
"Our creator would never have made such lovely days, and given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mothering, my dear friend

Mothering, very much like writing, is a lonely affair. Especially during the first few months as a new mom. When my Gorgeous Boy was born, Jeff and I didn't have the support of our parents nearby. We lived far from our family and from our friends who were also having babies at the same time as us.

I wish that during those hard months I had the companionship of Mothering Magazine, the only parenting magazine I've paid a subscription for. But I didn't discover it until my third child, El Cangri, was six months and I didn't know how to help my baby, who suffered chronic ear infections and who could cry for hours and hours, and who had a diaper rash that nothing could cure.

We were at a chiropractor's office when I came across a free copy of the magazine. I took it home and devoured it. Not only did I love the articles, but the readers' letters and the ads. Oh the ads! Natural toys and baby slings, cloth diapers and homeopathic remedies.

When I found Mothering, I found a friend, and behind it, a community of other moms, like me, who wanted to try alternative parenting styles.

When I didn't know what else to try for my son who could throw titanic tantrums or when I was considering homeschooling, I went to the Mothering Forum Boards and found a lot of advise, which even when it didn't apply to me, I  felt I had support, people who understood what I was going through.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard the terrible news. Mothering is no more. The company, struck by the economic crisis, like hundreds if not thousand other businesses, couldn't keep afloat. Now, they're only a web base company.

The forums remain, but I'll miss my bi-monthly copy of the magazine. I have a stack of past issues that I'll save like gold for the future, for when I need to read an inspiring article or find nutritious recipes. Even if no more babies will come to our family--we have four after all!-- I'm sure a friend, or my daughters, in many, many years, will find the same joy I did at finding like-minded mothers reflected on the magazine.

Thank you, Mothering Magazine, for being my mentor and help me be a better mother for my kids. I'll miss you so much!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no. I'm so sad to hear that. I picked up many a Mothering magazine when my kids were younger. That is just so sad.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the high level of spam and trolls, I'm moderating comments for a bit.