"What we do in this life, echoes in eternity."
Maximus, Gladiator
"Our creator would never have made such lovely days, and given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year

Last week we decorated our house for Halloween. I was about to blog about how much I love this time of the year, how I enjoy the scary books (I'm reading Dracula, again) and the anticipation of Halloween. All of the thoughts I wanted to blog about have been brushed away by the event, the miracle, taking place right now. "Saving the 33," reads the Univision headline. 33 lives, stories, families. So many hopes and plans and dreams that are suddenly possible again, thanks to technology and the efforts of so many people working together to save 33 men.
I remember the first time I saw a picture with a few words that changed the fates of so many.
"We are well in the refuge. All 33 of us."
If a person wanted to make up a more complex story, it wouldn't have surpassed real life. My friends' facebooks statuses say it all:
"Never so many have been following the fate of just a few."
"Watching miracles on my TV..."
"Fuerza mineros!"

I'm waiting for the rescue of the fourth man, Carlos Mamani's family is a little huddle waiting for their father and husband. What are they feeling? What are they thinking? The whole world is behind them.


3 comments:

  1. That rescue was amazing! I am so glad they got everyone out! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another moment of humanity coming together and hoping, praying, for people they didn't know. It was awe inspiring!

    What happened in the mine? What did those men talk about? What kind of society did they become?? Hmmm....sounds like a great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story taht captivated the world.
    I’ve been following and enjoying your blog for a while now (Aug)and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the high level of spam and trolls, I'm moderating comments for a bit.