"What we do in this life, echoes in eternity."
Maximus, Gladiator
"Our creator would never have made such lovely days, and given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I loved this book. The writing was a little choppy at times, and VERY predictable. I guess that after reading the third Robert Langdon book, I've come to recognize some elements Dan Brown uses: suspicious law enforcement officer, a girl to accompany Robert in his adventures, a race to find secret clues. However, I was surprised by the twist at the end, and I'm in awe at the amount of fantastic information Dan Brown used in this story. Just as I wanted to visit Paris to see for myself all the wonderful places described in The Da Vinci Code, or Rome after "Angels...", I now want to go back to Washington DC to see this city with new eyes. In fact, I went to Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland and The Temple Church in London because I was so intrigued by what I had read in the books. There is a treasure trove in DC that I didn't know existed! I didn't learn that at school.
I think the greatest achievement of this book (for me) is that I want to learn more about the history of our country, and the architecture, and the men who saw a marvelous society and whose vision we've lost.
In the religious aspect, I can see how this book is an eye-opener for people. I liked that he said that every religion has things that outsiders view as strange. Being a Mormon, I can confirm that aspects of my religion ARE very strange to outsiders. I loved the message of this book, and they way Brown tells it. It's everything JJ Benitez's books  should and could have been, but fell short of. I love the mixture of fiction and facts. Just the perfect formula to keep myself entertained and informed at the same time.
I definitely recommend it.

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. Roberto is reading it and he is hooked! I agree with you all the information is very neat!

    ReplyDelete