"What we do in this life, echoes in eternity."
Maximus, Gladiator
"Our creator would never have made such lovely days, and given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

In the errand of the fairies

Swan has a fairy friend who lives in our backyard, in a secret garden that we have. Only it's not secret, but it's a secluded little corner around a beautiful hawthorn tree (sooooo magical!) and several rose bushes. That's the exact place where a patch of poison ivy keeps growing too, but that's another story. Swan leaves presents and letters to her fairy every night. A few times, I've watched the sky darken and I wondered how in the world I was going to be brave enough to go out at night, in the middle of the trees to collect the offerings and leave something. Other times, I just forgot about the whole thing. But one particular night, Swan had prepared a very elaborate gift for the fairy, and I just had to make the effort of going out in the dark. I called Jeff to keep me company and talk to me while I was out in the windy night, and I left a letter and a chocolate for Swan from the fairy. The next day, Swan was so happy that I was worried if what I was doing (pretending the fairy existed) was right.
I figure, we play Santa Claus every Christmas, and just because we don't see them, it doesn't mean fairies aren't real, right? So I play along. One day she will find out, and I hope she realizes how much I love her. Because for me going out by myself in the dark is a sacrifice. I know, crazy, but it's me. Maybe the real fairies see me walk by them with a look of horror on my face and laugh their little heads off. I still want to see one. But in the daylight, OK? Nothing non-human at night. Yes, I read WAY TOO MUCH YA fantasy!

1 comment:

  1. That's is awesome !!..you remind me of my dad.. I still believe some of his stories were real :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the high level of spam and trolls, I'm moderating comments for a bit.