"What we do in this life, echoes in eternity."
Maximus, Gladiator
"Our creator would never have made such lovely days, and given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Pioneers and Sailors







I know I wasn’t made to be a pioneer or a sailor or even a marine. When we go somewhere and someone needs to use the restroom, it has to be a life or death situation for any of us, me or the kids, to use a public restroom. I don’t know how people could walk thousands of miles to reach a destination where there weren’t hotels or even modest homes to give them some hospitality while they got settled. No, those pioneers still had to work and suffer even after they reached their destinations. In the worst cases, after building their homes and planting their crops, they were sometimes called to go settle another area (the Mormon Pioneers at least). I admire that kind of strength, of faith.
I know sailors in the “olden times,” like Swan Princess says, had to have an incredible amount of faith to venture out into the unknown and cross the oceans. Take Christopher for example; he based his route to the Indies on wrong calculations that were held true in his times. He didn’t have a GPS system. His were a compass, a sextant, charts, and a whole lot of faith. If Christopher wasn’t led by the hand of the Lord, then I don’t know how he ever made it to America (the continent!) not once, but three times. And the miracle wasn’t arriving to America the first time, but going back to Spain, and then returning to the exact spot he had left from in America.
Not only that, but the living conditions. Oh my gosh! Those
“caravelas” were tiny! The kids and I visited the Museum of Science and Natural History here in Corpus Christi, and they had exact replicas of La Santa María, La Niña, and La Pinta (I remember the names since kindergarten). What a man that Chris. All controversies set aside.
We also visited the Museum on the Bay, the USS Lexington. What an amazing construction! Even though I have been on several cruises, I still can’t wrap my mind about how a thing of that colossal size doesn’t sink. How can an airplane fly, for that matter. I know the physics behind it, but it just blows my mind what humankind has been able to achieve in a few hundred years. From La Pinta to the USS Lex. What a quantum leap! But still, with all the advances, I wouldn’t be a marine. Their bunk beds were called
coffin lockers. No, I definitely wouldn’t be a marine. That’s why my gratitude is infinite towards the men and women who choose that as a profession and do it bravely and happily.
I love being able to discover this city with my kids. The United States is such a vast country. So many different subcultures, landscapes, people, foods.
On the 4th of July, to celebrate our country’s birthday, we went (including Jeff, yeah!) to Corpus Christi beach to watch the fireworks from the USS Lex. That magnificent vessel has been the witness to so many wars and conflicts, I’m happy it got to celebrate with happy cannons sounds and fireworks. 

5 comments:

  1. You have such a beautiful family!!
    I'm glad you're getting to enjoy some time with them - the explorations and history sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in Corpus Christi. WE live in Houston!! Come see us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yamile1 Glad you're plugged back in!!! No, I'm not a member of goodreads....what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like tons of fun. That is definitely the fun thing about summer sales that you get to go to fun places you probably would never go to. Your kids are darling as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pics!! Your kids are so cute!! I would make a pathetic sailor too. I had no idea the caravelas were that small!! I always picture them big and grand..i guess that makes the story even more amazing!!
    p.s thanks a lot for your help and I 4got to tell you you can take out or add whatever you need to.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the high level of spam and trolls, I'm moderating comments for a bit.