"What we do in this life, echoes in eternity."
Maximus, Gladiator
"Our creator would never have made such lovely days, and given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Friday, April 03, 2009

Perfect Health for Kids

The owner's manual of our bodies! What a book! Here's my goodreads review. If you only read one health book in your life, let this be it!

Perfect Health for Kids: Ten Ayurvedic Health Secrets Every Parent Must Know Perfect Health for Kids: Ten Ayurvedic Health Secrets Every Parent Must Know by John Douillard


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I so wish I had found this book when my first child was a baby, or even before then! I would have saved myself lot of worry, and I would have been able to build up his (and his siblings') immunity system since infancy.

The idea is to treat illness before it starts. John Douillard says that you can avoid Spring allergies by taking certain precautions in the fall. And like this, he offers several other examples. Ayurvedic medicine is mainly preventative, and is aimed at maintaining the body in a state of health. The author says that Ayurvedic practitioners are paid when the patient is healthy; therefore, they have an incentive to find what things will help the patient be healthy, even after symptoms disappear.

The author explains about different body types. I did the questionaire for each of my children, and I was surprised at how accurate the descriptions of the three body types are.

He offers real life measures we can take to avoid getting sick, from using spices to better digest our food, to what foods to avoid certain types of the day and year.

I loved this book, and I'll be reviewing it often. The things I started to implement in our lives are working already, not only for the children, but also for me and my husband.

I gave it four stars because of several typos and grammatical errors. If you're going to write a book, have several people proofread it!

I recommend it to all who want to take an active part in taking care of their body and their health. A healthy immune system, and good eating/sleeping/exercising habits are one of the best gifts we can offer our children.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info! I got so irritated of the kids being sick constantly it seemed (four days of feeling well then sick again got old really quickly) so we did a cleanse diet and fed them only fruits and veggies for almost two weeks and they have been healthy since so far. Although we're starting to implement some of our old diet back into our lives (do to the cost). But I'll have to get my hands on this book, it sounds right up my alley at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the high level of spam and trolls, I'm moderating comments for a bit.