"What we do in this life, echoes in eternity."
Maximus, Gladiator
"Our creator would never have made such lovely days, and given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Super Mario Party





This week we celebrated Gorgeous Boy's eighth birthday. He had wanted a Super Mario Birthday Party for a long time, and since I tried my best with Swan's party (remember the Dragon cake?), I thought the least I could do was try my best to make his cake too. I made the cake, which I am so proud of how it turned out!, and we gave out treat boxes which contained glow in the dark stars, chocolate gold coins, stickers, and block candy.
The pinata was a lot of fun, except that it was very flimsy. Gorgeous and Swan were the only kids who got to whack it with a bat because, unbelievably, after Swan hit it, the pinata broke and all the kids rushed to get the candy. Children that age are wonderful. I had not prepared any games, but they made up their own, fashioned after the video games all kids seem to be addicted too: Mario tag, Pooka freeze tag, etc.
We had a lot of fun, and even though I am so happy my boy is growing so strong and happy, I am a little sad at how fast time is passing. It seems like yesterday that he was born oblivious to a huge snow storm raging outside the hospital, in a little town of North Carolina. He seemed so breakable, I felt so overwhelmed, but he survived, and he is a happy boy, loved by everyone who meets him. Proof of that are the 26 kids we invited to the party, and all of them except for two broken hearted-ones attended.  
He will be baptized in our church in a few days, and he is so eager to learn, to do what is right, to please, that I have made the resolution to be a more gentle mom with him; he is trying so hard!!!!
I love you Gorgeous Boy! What a gift you are in my life!  
  

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing cake!! You're going to have to teach me, my cakes always seem to turn out horrible. I can't believe you had that many kids over, you're an amazing mom. Sounds like a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me encanta el tema de la fiesta. Te quedo muy bien el cake.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the high level of spam and trolls, I'm moderating comments for a bit.