"What we do in this life, echoes in eternity."
Maximus, Gladiator
"Our creator would never have made such lovely days, and given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal."
Nathaniel Hawthorne

Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Am Legend--Again

I already wrote about "I Am Legend", the movie. I just signed up for goodreads.com and since yesterday I got brave and finally read the book, I thought I'd publish my review. If you're not already on goodreads, go ahead and sign up; it's an awesome website. Kind of like facebook for book lovers.
Here it is!

I Am Legend I Am Legend by Richard Matheson


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I've been thinking about this story ever since I saw the movie several months ago. I was very hesitant to read the book because I was afraid it would be too graphic, or too scary. Well, it is a scary story, and not because of the vampires, but because it's about a vampirism plague that wipes humanity out of the face of the earth. The main character, Robert Neville, lost both his wife and daughter to the pandemic. I think the scary part for me was imagining I was in his place, knowing that I couldn't protect my children if they were infected, that nothing I did would save them. For this reason I think the book is scarier and sadder than the movie. Even though I tried to picture the character as the author describes him in his book (German-English descent), I kept seeing Will Smith in mind. Will Smith made a terrific Neville in the movie; he really conveyed the suffering and anguish Matheson describes in the book.

The writing is very well done, descriptive, not too harsh or graphic. There's not vulgarity either, so that was a plus. I was worried at first that the language would be bad. I recommend this book, especially during Halloween time, and also if you want to read about a person's determination to live even when there's apparently nothing to live for.

This copy I borrowed from the library contains other stories by Matheson. They are all suspenseful and/or scary. There is one story, "Prey", that I was familiar with. When I was a young girl I saw a film version of it, and it's one of the many reasons I'm still afraid of ethnic dolls or wooden carvings of people. you read it and you'll know why.

When I read "Prey" I realized Matheson's stories are well known, but his name is not--at least in my case, I hadn't heard of him before I am Legend came out as a movie.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

  1. I Just watched the movie. I really couldn't pay attention to the story because I grew up in NY and all I was thinking through the whole thing was "How did they film this with nobody around?". So I just couldn't get into the story that much. Sorry.
    PS.How DID THEY FILM THIS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how they did it.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the high level of spam and trolls, I'm moderating comments for a bit.